Monday, April 24, 2006

Road Trip Day 5: Tashi Dzom to Shigatse

We woke up in Tashi Dzom with renewed and/or refreshed spirits (depending on to which one of us you’d be referring). After playing around with the assorted dirty kids and sketchy kids roaming the empty streets, we piled into the car (a “Shopa-delay” from each of us without the reminder) and began our very long trip back towards the real world (as it were). We spent the Entire Day in the car. The bright spots were the fabulous views back at Mount Everest, which had finally decided to clear up. My panoramas didn’t quite turn out the way I’d hoped… but it was really a magnificent view. Basically Day 5 was just a really long day with a LOT of bouncing up and down interspersed with photos, bathroom stops, and a can of Pringles (what was left of them after my long afternoon in the horrible hotel the previous day, anyway).

Summary:
The road trip was worth every minute. I am still very sorry I didn’t make it to Base Camp, from the pictures I saw it wasn’t at all what I expected, but it still would have been awesome to be there. It isn’t quite as fun to say I *almost* made there, or that I *coulda* died up there, or that I *technically* was over half way to the top. But every day of the trip was amazing and a really unique cultural experience. The company was fun and the other sights were fascinating. And after six full days in the car we were supremely happy to get out of it. Tibet was a true adventure. One I would love to repeat someday (politics aside). Get there while you can (oops)!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home