Saturday, April 08, 2006

Lhasa at Last


(This is my first photo of Lhasa... added after the fact from Tokyo). I'm terribly dissappointed to say that I've been unable to upload pictures. I'm going to keep trying, but when I plug into the USB port, the computer just doesn't seem to recognize it even though the light is lit. Bummer! If anyone has any ideas, e-mail me (directly- since I can't view my blog from China I can also not view the comments until I get back to Japan).

Anyway! I've arrived in Lhasa, Shangri-La! I've been taking it really slow while I attempt to acclimatize, but from what I've seen and done so far, it really is everything it is cracked up to be.

Day 3: Lhasa (again, the first part is from e-mail home)
Hi gang,
I've officially reached the roof of the world. I arrived safely this morning on a 7:40 am flight (5:20 am hostel pick up) and am checked into the Yak Hotel (not kidding) into a somewhat gloomy but fully functional dorm room (6 beds in a big room with some cabinet space for all, no room key). The room is all of 3 dollars a night so no complaints here. Haven't met the owners of the two other beds full of stuff yet, but did make aquaintences of a Danish girl named Mari, I flew here with from Chengdu. Seems just about everyone else is touring for the year... very very long term. I'm actually relieved to be the short-term girl, for once.

My bag got soaked in someone's foul fruit liquor in the plane, so I had fun trying to wash that out and am still waiting to get my clothes back from the laundry... thankfully the bag is waterproof, but it stunk so bad I think that transfered to the inside. Welcome to Lhasa! Anyway, that was the only complication and managed to find the bus and Lhasa itself just fine. Then split a cab to the hotel with Mari and a Swedish couple we flew with. Hotel itself is lovely and it appears the computers have USB ports so I'm hopefull about posting pictures. I haven't actually taken any of Lhasa yet, but I can share the Chengdu ones later.

Finally, altitude. It sucks. I thought I'd be either okay or really ill... but so far I'm stuck somewhere in between. I've been really dizzy and off balance and though I felt a touch better after a nap and a shower, my head is starting to hurt. Stomach is still touch and go, also, so I will be laying low for another day or so at least. Well, that's what the book says to do anyway, so I guess that's what I do!

What I have seen of Lhasa is amazing!!! I can't wait to explore and it sucks to have to wait until the haze in my head clears. ps.I'm trying to keep my blog updated, I can post but not view it, so let me know if you guys have any problems with it.

End of e-mail/Update since then: After sending that e-mail I decided to hang out at the teahouse. It is on the 5th floor and I swear, the walk up nearly did me in. My heart was pounding and my head was throbbing and it took me several minutes to catch my breath. The view from the roof almost made up for killing myself to get there- you can see across the Barkhor area-the old city and the horizon was just filled with prayer flags out to where the mountains start. Unfortunately, we've just hit the transition between the off season to the tourist season and therefore... the teahouse wasn't serving tea!! I'd almost done myself in, for nothing. I didn't even have my camera along so will have to wait another day until attempting to return and capture the view. The only spot to hang laundry is also on the roof, so that will have to wait.

In the evening, I met my two Norweigen roommates and they advised me to take it easy as they'd been really, really sick their first night. They recommended the Naga teahouse down the street. It ended up being a great little place to sit and read a book and sip tea, exactly what I needed. I had delicious pumpkin soup, some tomato sauce spaghetti (comfort food) and a huge pot of jasmine tea. I sat there for over an hour warming up and relaxing. Frankly that was about all I could handle. Every time I sped up to cross the road I felt the world start spinning again. In the evening I returned to my dorm to meet Gita, another American finally! who is the other girl in our rooom. Mari and I got some more drinks at the restaurant in the courtyard and then I pretty much collapsed. Thought it might be difficult to sleep, but turns out this girl can sleep even at high altitudes! I was very thankful for my wonderful down sleeping bag, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home