Sunday, March 05, 2006

Lightening Up

I had a much better weekend than last. I think a lot of it has to do with reclaiming my sense of humor. I'm fake mad at Tom for yet again heading out of the country just when I need him to tell me to calm down (like when I moved to Tokyo in August and he was out of the country starting in June for about two months). Of course, he just snickered and muttered that it really perfect timing in his mind. Before he flew over to China this morning, he was nice enough to take me tromping up and down a shortish mountain on the outskirts of town (check!). There was a bit of pretty snow and plenty of mud which resulted in high quality, stress-relieving squishing sounds as we went up and down.

This morning I did laundry, cleaned house- filling three plus garbage bags, and enjoyed an afternoon at the National Museum (check!). The sunny and only mildly chilly weather meant I had my windows open and comfortor thrown over the veranda railing. I also hauled my skis over to Tom's apartment (check!), effectively ending my short and mostly dissapointing season. His company will be shipping everything in his apartment for him, so I'm going to take advantage and do NOT expect me to feel bad about it. After that I dragged a fifty pound bag of our used books over to church (check) so that he can't complain about me taking up space (not that he's likely to notice). Basically, I was remarkably productive (check the checks!)!

As I walked through the streets of both my and Tom's neighborhoods, enjoying the beautiful pre-spring day I began to think about how much I will really, really miss living here (okay, who am I kidding, I've been thinking about that since the second week after I arrived...). I know I can come back to visit, but the chances I will live here in this neighborhood again are so slim. Honestly, I have been really blessed everywhere I have lived but this place is so unique. The fact that I live here... and it is My Neighborhood will not be easy to replace. For one thing, I don't think I'll have a sushi bar on my corner and a train station over the river and down the street in Detroit (this feels like a safe assumption). For another thing, I won't be a resident of another country. I know this is obvious... but sometimes it RE-occurs to me that this place that feels totally comfortable to me is actually technically foreign; it is Japanese! It gives everything another dimension of excitement and challenge: from biking to work to doing my laundry and grocery shopping to mailing a letter. A part of me is quite worried that after I settle into life in Michigan... I'm going to get really bored.

But then I remind myself of all the wonderful things waiting for me. The cliche "abscence makes the heart grow fonder" is definitely applicable to the experience of living abroad. Once I got over, replaced, or satisfied my initial cravings for oatmeal, chedder cheese ruffles, and American TV during the past four years I have realized what I really love, appreciate and miss about being in the US. Mainly being able to visit my family and friends (pretty much) when I want to by car or cheap plane fare, being able to drive directly to my destination, hanging out and just chilling in front of a movie with chips and salsa. After all that important stuff, I really miss shopping for cheap clothes, books and food. And I'm not even a shopper (of course, that's really why I hate shopping in Tokyo).

I expect moving home is going to take a serious pile of adjustment but I'm still looking forward to the challenge of the move and the joy of being back in TOUCH enormously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home