Thursday, April 20, 2006

From China to China

Yesterday's flight from Lhasa to Chengdu was a domestic flight, but it sure didn't feel like it. "Now I'm in China...", I immediately sighed as I watched the commuter traffic from my bus window on the ride into downtown. It's probably not wise to get into the politics while I'm still physically in China. I'll leave it alone, but say that this is definitely not "One China".



Anyway, I reached Chengdu yesterday evening and am back at Mix Backpacker's Hostel, where I stayed on my way out. Somehow I managed to have almost the same amount of "issues" using the buses to get here as I did last time... even though I knew where I was going.

I met and chatted with an Israeli woman, Osnad, over dinner last night- we're sharing the same room and both have the top bunks so our conversation carried over much like a slumber party. She's traveling through China for a month and a half and I'm, of course, fresh out of Tibet. We both have traveled all over the world (she South America, me all over Asia, etc.), but what did we talk about? Well, getting married and weddings, of course!!!

Another guy in my room is a retired, Japanese delivery man who visited Tibet twenty years ago and actually took the ferry to China from Japan! I've met so many more interesting travelers, its hard to believe how nervous I originally was about doing this trip alone. A key has definitely been staying in the dorm rooms at the hotels and hostels. I'm kind of surprised I've not used hostels before, but they've been a lot more fun, easier to use, and cheaper than I'd thought.

Don't misunderstand me though, I will absolutly be ready to have my own room back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home