Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Fall has roared in like a ...windy typhoon. I kid you not, last Friday afternoon it was 27 degrees (about 80F) and I was sweating. Then, Tom got on a train to come over so we could go hike up a mountain and camp and ... WHAM... a typhoon suddenly hit. How does that happen?? It got really chilly Saturday, then started to rain mid-day and Sunday it pretty much poured all day. Needless to say, we canceled attempt-to-camp #5 or 6. Gah!! Monday was of course beautiful and sunny. However, on the way through town I just happened to glance at a digital thermometer: 10 degrees!!! (that would be 50 F). Ouch, I guess summer is over. Wait, did summer even come this year?

So, yeah.. in case you haven't checked the photo page recently, I failed my driver's test. Actually, I didn't even get to take the test. I didn't have the right form so they turned me down after an hour or two of debating. I got a new Indiana driver's lisence when I was home in May, and the DMV folks here want proof that I had a lisence before that since to get one here you need to have had one in your home country for more than three months. I only had a copy of my previous one since they don't let you keep them anymore... and that wasn't good enough. I wanted to scream. Who knows when I'll actually get the right paperwork now. It was a major bummer.

To cheer myself up... we went shopping with the rest of our day off and I bought ski boots!! I just need to get my bindings adjusted now and I'll be ready for winter (which will be here anyday, it seems).

In other news, I have officially purchased tickets to fly home for the holidays. It was a major debate (not quite as big as the "to stay or not to stay" debate but close), but I did buy them so I'm all set. I'll be back in the States from December 20th to January 4th. Now that its official, I'm already getting excited about Christmas. On top of that, I think Tom and I will be heading to Thailand the last week of November, so I'll be getting around. ;) Should be great.

Otherwise, there isn't a whole lot going on here. Yesterday we had a holiday because it was the autumnal equinox, and today the teachers from different academic departments headed to separate schools in the areas to observe a class and then discuss. Danielle and I drove up to the English demonstration class in Omachi (almost to the ski hills in Hakuba). Fortunately, as AETs we get to cut out for the afternoon session of boring discussions. Now I'm sitting back in school watching it pour. If its cold again tonight I'm going to be so tempted to pull out a heater!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home