Sunday, May 23, 2004

Oh boy... I am really, really behind. The intimidation factor is great, here.. just like in a real journal, I am overwhelmed by the thought of trying to catch "you" up on the last month... but feel guilty just skipping over it all and starting on today again. hm... what to do?

I could write about the highlights of the last month... but even that would be a challenge as I've been so busy that I can't even remember what I've done!

Perhaps just the last weeks worth would do?

Last weekend: I went to Tokyo & spent a fun weekend with Tom, highlights of which were a 3 hour sightseeing walk through a new area of Tokyo courtesy of a Japanese book with a collection of about 100 such walks. Also saw the Japanese sneak-preview of the movie "Troy" on Saturday night and had a lovely 8k run through the rain on Sunday.

Monday: I had a REAL LIVE INTERVIEW! Yes, I kid you not, thanks to a Mori-no-Ike friend (thank you YUKARI!!) and in response to an e-mailed introduction and resume from me, I was invited to meet a certain wine company owner in Tokyo to interview for a position as his office manager. Cool! The interview was over breakfast (his treat) in the Tokyo American Club which is pretty much a country club without the golf course and we talked for almost 2 hours. I think it was a success and we've tentatively planned to meet again in June- he wants to test my Excel and invoice reading skills (gulp!). Fortunately I know not only one, but two former Excel trainers, so I should be all right. I'm really, REALLY relieved to finally have a potential job on the horizon. I can't even described how totally euphoric I feel to be on the way to employment before actually ending up un-employed. YAY! I also heard back from a network for foreign women about one of their job posts, but will have to wait until late June to interview as the contact person is out of the country. But- TWO prospects!!!

And you thought that was it for Monday- oh no... it got even better with the arrival of my parents in the afternoon. After a two hour delay, their plane landed and we made our way back to Tokyo for a nice dinner with Tom and then put them to bed.

Tuesday: Mom, Tom & I went for a run in downtown Tokyo. Then my parents and I headed back to Nagano and relaxed a bit before meeting the 5 teachers of my English department for sushi dinner. What a riot!

Wednesday: We woke to pouring rain, but still headed out up and over the mountains by bus to Hida Takayama, a beautiful and old-fashioned Japanese village up in the Alps. After some confusion finding our minshuku (family owned inn) thanks to the Japanese National Travel Org. (grrrrr....), the rest of the day went smoothly and included shopping and sightseeing.

Thursday: more rain and more sightseeing in Takayama. Dad strained his back but we still managed to hike over 2 miles past 15 temples and shrines and up a couple of hills (it was of course longer than it was supposed to be because we got a bit lost, again).
Took the bus back to town and met Jaclyn for some Thai dinner- yum! (we were getting a bit OD'd on soba).

Friday: Enjoyed a lazy morning (the only one with sun!). Mom & I went for a run. Had a great pasta lunch then boarded the train for Osaka. Spent the evening locating two hotels and dinner. Crazy city, that Osaka....

Saturday: Took the train south to Himeji to check out the World Heritage Site Himeji Castle. It was very impressive- more so since we were lucky enough to land in Himeji on the day of their annual festival! We were mooned by several float bearers in nothing but loin clothes. Dad took pictures. ;) Headed back to Osaka in the afternoon for the start of the Rotary Conference. At night, we ate great food at a cool place called the Asian Kitchen.

Sunday: Sadly (but none too soon) I abandoned Mom & Dad in Osaka and returned to the pouring rain of Nagano. Got home in time for a run through the puddles. Then restocked my fridge, rented some movies and relaxed in the peace of being all by myself for a few moments. Hanging out with my parents has been a BLAST... but it was really time for a break.

This week I'm back at school while Mom & Dad do the Rotary thing. They head to Tokyo on Thursday and I'll meet up with them after school on Friday before they fly home on Saturday night.

Now that I'm back to routine- I am vowing to keep up to date!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home