Monday, February 09, 2004

My two day work week is almost over... I'm off to Hong Kong tomorrow night- aren't you jealous?? (snicker, tee hee)

I've crammed extra classes into yesterday and today's schedule that I won't be able to teach later in the week so I'm pretty exhausted. However, all I need to do is survive an hour and a half of Adult English Conversation tonight and I will be off on my mini-vacation/long weekend to Chinese food heaven. I'm really looking forward to the trip-- the first time back in HK since I was there for a month during my Global Semester in college. My parents were kind enough to mail me my Lonely Planet guide, but I've been too busy to even crack it. Since I don't have an itinerary, I guess I'll just have to wait until I get back to fill you in after the fact.

This past weekend Jaclyn and I took the J-test, a miserably difficult Japanese test created to test four levels of proficiency with the same test. Since I was taking the same test as someone basically fluent,... it was make-me-want-to-cry tough. It definitely put me in my place and didn't (as I was hoping it would) inspire me to study more. It did make perfectly clear that there are certain levels of Japanese to which I really don't expect to ever reach. And I'm ok with that. Seriously- one of the articles they tested us on was from a magazine that is a Japanese equivilant of the Economist. I'm never going to be able to read that many kanji... and I really don't need to! So, it was a bit tiring but onward to other things.

I'm now focusing on my Economics class and trying to get through it without using any math. Not likely, I know... but I'm hoping that I can finish it all before I have to move (and give up my home internet access) this summer. I did discover while doing some research last night, that the man who wrote my text book is now the current chairman of the president's Council of Economic Advisors. Cool!

Finally, I am still kicking myself for signing up for the Japanese test this weekend and flying to Hong Kong next weekend because it has meant missing out on skiing skiing skiing...!! There is a crystal clear view of the mountains all the way to Hakuba today.. and no school tomorrow. oooooh!!! Oh well- I'll be the only one from Misato dining on dim sum on Thursday, right?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home