Friday, January 28, 2005

It's amazing how much better I feel about life this month compared with last month. Particularly considering the fact that we're in the deep of winter (I'm a bit on the seasonally affected side), it is obvious that the job change did me a lot of good. The kids wear me out... but it is so nice to work HARD all day and then leave. No pretending to do more work because you're obligated to stay late to show dedication... no studying Japanese to look productive when you're bored off your #$%, no begging others for work to do so you don't fall asleep. Nope- I do my job, I enjoy it while I'm there, and then I Go Home. It's a novel idea- and I love it.

Skiing was really good. We went to Yuzawa in Niigata- which is only a little over an hour from Tokyo Station by Shinkansen. Stayed in a ryokan with another couple we know from the crazy running group. We got there Saturday (took a 6:20 am Shinkansen!!) and skiied all Saturday at Iwappara in freezing cold snow. I was ready to quit by about 11:00 am but took an extended break (involving a fireplace and some hot chocolate with whip cream) and then put my hood up over my hat and under my goggles to keep the snow out. That all helped and the rest of the day was much better. We even went down a "black hill"... though I am certain it would have been red in Hakuba. But it was just FULL of powder (like up past my knees) so it was a blast!

The next day we went to a Gala Yuzawa which had more challenging runs and we just rocked the mountain- I'm doing so well this year!! This place was incredible though. The Gondola/Lift Ticket/Onsen shares a building with the Shinkansen stop- so you can litterally get off the train in your ski gear and get right into the gondola and start skiing. It was quite something. Also mobbed and full of rip offs (onsen was 1300 and you needed a swimsuit to use the rotemburo-poo!, locker was 1000!!). But anyway, good time had by all. Tom and I are hoping to go back nest weekend for a one day trip, since its so easy to get there (hence the mob).

I'm obviously still having a blast with a kiddies... a little worried that I love them more than they love me, but oh well. Little kids are fickle, yeah? ;) Seriously they are a riot and my day goes sooooo fast! Absolutly NO Bordeom which is just grand. Its also just so nice to be able to bike there. Not sure how that will go in the summer, but for now it is quite nice (and I feel like I get a little bit of excercise every day).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home