Wednesday, May 07, 2003

Lift off for the states in exactly two weeks (plus two hours)!! I'm really looking forward to it. I've got a huge list of things I want to do (see a zillion people, go shopping, sit on a real couch, go rollerblading, drive on the right side of the street sitting on the left, stock up on hugs, and play with my dog being the things that pop to mind) and an equally sized list of things I want to eat (don't let me get started). I miss everyone even more now that I know I will see you soon... it kind of emphasizes it. The closer I get to being there, the more I just want to go NOW! I'll be hanging out in North Carolina with for Beth's wedding, spending 5 days at home in Indy w/my parents, my brother, and all three grandparents, then spending the last two nights in Minneapolis with the global gang and hopefully some camp friends! It will not be relaxing at all but who said you can't do everything? (probably my mother after trying to do so).

Today is rainy which is good for the garden and matches my mood. Last night I made an executive decision to take a sick "night". I figure since I can't call in sick to use my sick days... I am entitled to play lazy bum once in a while on my own time. I skipped out on Shodo class then read a book in bed for awhile after returning home from school, then took a nap. This was followed by a good hour plus of reading, then dinner of popcorn and finally an hour of Japanese TV. I think I'm ready for Jaclyn to come home (she's been at home since last Tuesday)... some company and Mac & cheese would have been a lot better. oh well. Tonight I have a long staff meeting and then will be going swimming, picking up my hemmed bridesmaid dress and getting gas and hopefully picking Jaclyn up at the airport, so I will be busy again.

I am still getting used to having 4 or 5 classes a day instead of 1, 2, or even 3 from last year. Its exhausting! This week I don't feel like I've been jiving very well with the students, either, which has made class extra tiring. I think it might partly be due to the fact that the other teachers (specifically the two new grad. teachers) seem to be really underestimating the amount they can accomplish in class. They come with one activity and a little lecture and try to make it stretch the entire 50 minutes. When I'm there it is painfully akward because the classes are filled with tense pauses and silences while the teacher fumbles for something else to do. On the swing side of that... there's me.. trying to fit in 3 crazy and different ways to practice a number of different expressions.. and doing it all in English (could be Italian for all the kids understand somedays)... I think its kind of a shock. So my new goal is to try to slow down a little. We'll see if I can succeed. I'm doing better at using the other teacher in my lessons more (as opposed to me leading/explaining everything).. but we're still really unbalanced: she'll speak only Japanese and I speak only English so the kids stop listening to me and just wait for her to translate, etc. Anyway, all of this and more... I'm really ready for a break!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home