Monday, October 25, 2004

Okay, I can't even motivate myself to write about the craziness in my day to day yet for some reason my "hm... that sounds just crazy enough to dedicate an entire month to" interest has been piqued by National Novel Writing Month (NaNiWriMo). Probably inspired by the very-ordinary-ness of my current job, when not daydreaming of flying away to an exotic beach (danger of job in travel agency), I'm wondering if I could support myself as a writer. Of course, the people already signed up for this masochistic (or is it sadistic? I always mix them up) challenge all seem to have started eons ago. From skimming the forums, the NaNiWriMo authors- though none will start writing until Nov.1- have outlined, created main characters, sub-characters, invented languages (!), and some even draw pictures and maps! Yikes. That's way too much planning for this committed procrastinator.

And yet... something is still tugging at me. Maybe its the fact that I haven't written a term paper in years. Perhaps its an excuse to ignore the typical "start with small rarely read articles in local, unknown magazines and work your way up" process of becoming a writer. Why not chomp off more than I've even dreamt of being able to swallow- then everything else will be peanuts!! Or maybe I'll be so frazzled after the month of grinding out 50,000 words (that's the goal to be A Winner in the NaNiWriMo mission) that I will never want to face my laptop again.

Its got me thinking. Anyone have any good ideas for a novel?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home