Sunday, March 23, 2003

Mom & Dad have been here for about 48 hours and we're already exhausted! And about to do a load of laundry. I'm so excited to have them here. I've been waiting to show them around for 7 years!!

I went out to Tokyo on Thursday afternoon (the U.S. started bombing Iraq while I was on the train) and spent the night at Tom's so I didn't have to do the entire trip in one shot. The next morning we finished (ahem... really started...) cleaning his apartment so that my parents wouldn't know that he's really a slob (joke!). He was nice enough to take the trip out to Narita Airport with me, a trip he does way too often to find enjoyable. I was glad to have the company and the directional assistance. Mom & Dad arrived on time with all 18 peices of luggage... and we were in good spirits on the train back into Tokyo. We hauled them with all of the luggage through two different trains, up and down stairs, escalators, elevators, and a taxi (I sat on Mom's lap and a big heavy suitcase sat on both Tom's and Dad's laps). They were really impressed with Tom's apartment (Dad even asked how much it cost a month.. ) and then we headed out to dinner. We had a fabulous meal at the Tofuro in Ginza, which included two types of fresh tofu, chicken and veggies on skewers, a great salad, and oden (translated in the menu to "Japanese hodgepodge"). It was delicious and Mom is still raving about the restaurant's physical appearance.. it is really traditional with lots of wood and hidden rooms. After we got back to the apartment, Mom & Dad just crashed.

Saturday morning Tom led Mom and I on a jog through his neighborhood. It was pretty warm out and we ran in shorts. Mom got a great view of Tokyo Tower (a bright orange and white version of the Eiffel). Then Tom and I ran across the street for pastries, rolls, juice and yogurt for breakfast. After making sure we made it with all the luggage to Shinjuku and finding us some cash, Tom waved goodbye from the train platform as we left for Nagano. It was an uneventful train trip and I was dissappointed because none of us were seated at windows. When we switched trains at Matsumoto to come out to Misato, we walked into a car and were greeted with squeals and giggles among "Sherman Sensei!!". It was a group of incoming 1st graders that I only vaguely recognized.. but Mom & Dad were truly impressed at how excited they were to see me. Proof of my celebrity-hood increased when upon exciting the station the station attendant not only welcomed me home, but greeted my parents like they were VIPs... waving them through with their Rail Passes. He clearly would have loved to stop and chat, but we were trying to get home. And my fans were waiting. Yes, once we excited the station, the aforementioned girls were waiting for us with a camera! I feel like a true star now.

In the evening (after Mom unpacked the LARGE suitcase full of stuff she'd brought for me... Christmas in March!) we had a relaxed dinner with Jaclyn and her parents at the soba/tempura restaurant up the street. Both sets of parents were challenged by the chopsticks, but even more so by the on-the-floor-seating style. Everyone was pooped and we headed home pretty early. Mom & Dad made it until almost 10pm before crashing.

Today we spent a very beautifully sunny day walking around Matsumoto City. We toured the Matsumoto Castle and walked around the outside, admiring the humongous carp. We also did a substantial amount of window shopping. When we couldn't handle anymore walking we took a nice break for coffee, tea, and apple cobbler at a new cafe in town the headed home. This time, when we got on the train there were 3 of my male students- who were just as shocked to see me "out in the wild", and when we got off the train, they were waiting in the station to say hi again. They were so funny! One presented me with a dog cup and saucer that he'd won at the game center they'd been at. They were so impressed to see my parents. Jaclyn was out and couldn't pick us up so instead we walked home, giving me a chance to point out my bank, post office, school, and Jaclyn's school. I wish it would have been clearer, but we could still see the mountains a bit so I guess they probably got the idea. We just finished dinner and are now packing for our trip down south. We will leave tomorrow morning for Kyoto. On Thursday, we will head down to Hiroshima and Miyajima before making a U-turn to spend the weekend with my host families in Wakayama City. Next Monday we'll return to Nagano and visit Tsumago, a well-preserved post rode city and we'll be back here on Tuesday afternoon. We're psyched!! Hopefully I will remember enough details so that I can share them... and maybe Dad can help me post some pictures.

Have a great week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home