Thursday, February 13, 2003

After leaving school today I was walking near a few students and they stopped to ask me how to say "ebi" in English (shrimp). They left me and began walking home, satisfied with their seafood vocabulary levels, and I proceeded to unlock my car... from the passeger side door. I still have not figured out which side of the car I am supposed to be driving on. I'm all right with driving on the left side of the road, but its still very uncomfortable to be sitting on the right side of the car as the driver. I'm a bit screwed up about the physical space my car takes up.. add that to the narrow dimensions of the road (and the fact that there is a 2 foot drop off where the road ends...), frankly driving is a little scary. Each time I brave the roads, there are one or two cars (ok, five or six) that seem to be so close that I literally slow down and wince as they pass by. I think Jaclyn is probably really entertained by this (and gritting her teeth).

I may actually be going through school lunch withdrawal. Yesterday the entire lunch looked like it was completely edible and I felt really guilty for not partaking in it with the kids. The students didn't quite understand that I wasn't eating it either. They kept bringing me dishes and by the time I had taken it back to the front of the room to be redistributed, there was more waiting on my desk when I returned. Then today, there was a truly yummy looking pudding for dessert (we never had dessert while I was still eating it!) and they even had extras... it was so hard not to ask for one! The grass is always greener on the other side, or so they say (I still think this is going to be the best bet by a long shot!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home